The Internet and Social Media is growing steadily in South Africa. There’s no doubt about that. Earlier in this year I published a post on this blog featuring South African Social Media Statistics for 2012. This post contains some updated South African Social Media and Smartphone Statistics for 2012.
Let’s face it. Social Media and Smartphones have become part of our daily lives. People are discussing what they read or saw on Facebook and Twitter around the water cooler at the office or showing each other what they’re friends shared on one of these networks on their mobile phones.
Checking your Social Media networks and messages has become a more regular thing. People are adding each other on Facebook or Twitter instead of exchanging phone numbers. It’s definitely the golden age of Social Media in South Africa if you ask me.
On the 7th of September, Memeburn published updated statistics on Social Media and Smartphones, this is a summary of the updated South African Social Media and Smartphone Statistics in 2012:
- Overall about 9.6 million South Africans use the Internet.
- 5.3 million South Africans use Facebook.
- 1.8 Million South Africans use Linked In.
- 1.3 million South Africans use Twitter.
- 1.2 Million South Africans use Google+.
- 75.7% of South African Social Media users have a Facebook account.
- In South Africa 4.5 million people access their Facebook account via a Mobile device (more than two thirds).
- Johannesburg has the most active Facebook users in South Africa. Over 1 million people in Johannesburg actively use Facebook. That’s about 1 Third of the City’s population.
- Cape Town is the second most active Facebook city (with over 850,000 users), Pretoria is the third most active (with over 690,000 users) and Durban is the fourth most active (with over 470,000 users).
- 20% of South Africans have a Smartphone.
- 33% of South African Mobile phone users access the internet.
- There are many Blackberry ads on Junk Mail and it comes as no surprise, it’s the most popular handset in South Africa. 46% of the Smartphone market is dominated by Blackberry. Nokia ads are also popular on Junk Mail, no surprise there, they still have 41% market share, HTC has 5%, Apple has 3% and Samsung has 1%.
There you have it, some updated South African Social Media and Smartphone Statistics. If you’ve found this information useful, please share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
In case you did not know, you can follow the happenings at Junk Mail via our social media channels. Check out Junk Mail Classifieds on Facebook, follow @junkmailcoza on Twitter or add Junk Mail Classifieds on Google+ for regular updates.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Next Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge lined up for November - October 17, 2013
- Fifth annual Photo & Film Expo coming soon! - October 14, 2013
- See if Khumba will get his stripes - October 11, 2013