You probably all know what a scam is, but do you all know how to protect yourselves from con artists that are trying to trick you into handing over your goods and hard-earned money? We would all love to have an online guardian that glides through the Internet with us daily to ensure that we are browsing safely 24/7. The reality is we need to learn how to protect ourselves to be safe at all times.
We at Junk Mail take scam busting very seriously. We have a dedicated Scam Buster who trawls through our site daily and rejects all the scam adverts to make buying and selling safer for you. You could say that our Scam Buster is like having your very own online classifieds guardian angel.
When it comes to teaching our users about the protective measures of online scams we make sure you have all the tools to spot a scam, before this scam catches you. We also make a point as taking the necessary measures to curbs scams to make sure that you have a safer trading experience.
This post gives a bit of insight about what the Junk Mail are actively doing to curb scams:
- We moderate every single advert that gets submitted to us: Yes folks, Junk Mail has a proofreading team dedicated to checking each and every advert that gets sent to us. Our proofreading team rejects fraudulent /suspicious adverts to protect all our buyers / sellers when they are using our platform.
- We report notable scammers to the SAPS: If we receive reports of a fraudster or scammer using our services we report the person to the SAPS. We also provide the needed information to Junk Mail users that have been scammed as evidence so they can strengthen their case against the fraudsters.
- We make Junk Mail users aware about the newest scams / fraudulent activity that we are made aware of: Over the last few years we have been publishing blog posts that explain how scams work, provided information on how to avoid being scammed and have given tips on how to buy and sell safe via classifieds. Links to all of these posts are on the Safety and Security page on the Junk Mail blog. We continue to provide scam information to Junk Mail users on a regular basis.
- We are continually improving our system to keep scammers out: We recently upgraded our platform to make sure that all scammers are placed on a block list. This means that the scammers email is blocked from the system and they can’t use that email to place adverts. We also have the same system for telephone numbers. Once a con artists email or telephone number is picked up this advert is flagged and deleted. There is the odd scam that the system does miss. If you do find a scam, we ask that you please protect our other users by reporting this scam to us immediately.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Dryver: A Mobile app That Will Get You Home Safely - May 21, 2013
- Brace yourselves for Capital Craft in July 2013! - May 21, 2013
- An Introduction to Lucy Kruger - May 20, 2013