2011 was a massive year for Social Media. The year saw the launch of Google’s Social Network Google+ and the amount of users on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin increased substantially both in South Africa and globally. It’s become a part of our daily lives and it simply can’t be ignored. Social Media has made it possible for people all around the world to communicate in a quicker and more efficient way.
In 2011, Junk Mail continued to embrace Social Media. The Junk Mail Facebook page now has more than 17,000 fans. We also have more than 1194 followers on our Junk Mail Classifieds Twitter Profile. The Junk Mail Team would like to take this opportunity to thank our users for their support in 2011.
Here are some updated Social Media statistics for 2011:
- There are 3500 photos per second being uploaded on the popular photo sharing website Flickr.
- In 2011 Google+ reached 50 million+ users. Google+ is the world’s youngest social networking site.
- In 2011 Foursquare received more than 2 million check-ins per week.
- Lady Gaga is the most followed person on Twitter. Almost 16 million people follow her on Twitter.
- The most viewed video in 2011 and in YouTube history is the music video for the song ‘Baby Baby’ by Justin Bieber. The video has had more than 659 million view on YouTube.
- In 2011 YouTube reached 490 million unique visitors (who generated 92 billion pageviews) per month.
- Users on YouTube are now uploading 35 hours of video every minute on YouTube.
- To give you an idea, more video gets uploaded to YouTube in 60 days than 3 Major US TV networks have manage to created in 60 years.
- In 2011 18.8% of total time spent online was spent on social networking websites / services.
- In 2011 Linkedin reached 135 million+ users. Every second 2 users sign up for Linkedin.
- According to June 2011 statistics there are 1 million Twitter users in South Africa, but this is still a drop in the ocean. Twitter reached 225 million users in 2011.
- More than 150 million Tweets are being sent per day (1736 per second) on Twitter.
- 11% of planet Earth’s population now has a Facebook account.
- Google was surpassed by Facebook in 2011 as the most visited website on the Internet.
- There are now more than 800 million users on Facebook. In fact there are more Facebook users in the world than motor vehicles.
- The average Facebook user now spends 700 minutes a month on Facebook.
- Every minute on Facebook there are 510,000 comments and 293,000 status updates posted. 136,000 photos are being uploaded in the same time period.
- 30 billion pieces of content are being shared on Facebook monthly.
For these and more Social Media statistics for 2011, watch this video below:
The Junk Mail team hopes that you find these statistics interesting. Feel free to comment on this post if you have any views about this. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. You are also welcome share this post with your friends on Facebook and Twitter if you feel the need to spread the knowledge.
Also feel free to check out these posts on the Junk Mail blog:
- Even More Social Integration for Junk Mail
- Nkosi’s Haven Discovers the Power of Twitter
- Have You Lost Your Pet? Let Junk Mail Help You
- 10 Global Internet Facts for 2011
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Reach your target audience with Junk Mail’s Digital Marketing Products - March 7, 2017
- Next Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge lined up for November - October 17, 2013
- Fifth annual Photo & Film Expo coming soon! - October 14, 2013