Yesterday the Apple iPhone 5 was announced at a press conference in San Fransisco, California in the United States. It’s the sixth generation iPhone that the tech giant has unveiled since the first iPhone was first unveiled back in 2007.
Here are some things to note about the Apple iPhone 5:
- The iPhone 5 has a bigger screen than the previous versions.
- The iPhone 5 is 18% thinner, 20% lighter and has 12% less overall volume than its predecessor (the Apple iPhone 4S).
- It features a 326ppi retina display with a resolution of 1136 by 640 pixels and a 16 x 9 aspect ratio.
- iPhone apps will have to be re-sized for the iPhone 5, old apps will appear letter-boxed.
- The phone has a two-tone back. It will be released in either “white and silver” or “black and slate”. The iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminium body with diamond cut edges and glass inlays with an incredible fit and finish.
- The iPhone 5 has a new Apple A6 processor. It has twice the CPU speed and twice the graphics power than the iPhone 4S.
- Apple claims that the iPhone 5 has a longer battery life than the iPhone 4S.
- The iPhone 5′s camera is smaller than the iPhone 4S, but it still has an 8 megapixel sensor size – it’s almost the same spec. The A6 processor offers a better image processor and promises better low-light performance though.
- The iPhone 5′s camera can shoot panoramas to produce a 28 MP image. It can also take pictures while shooting a video (like other high-end handsets).
- The front camera on the iPhone 5 is a 720p, ideal for Facetime calling (an improvement on the VGA camera on previous models).
- The iPhone 5 has three microphones (including a new beam-forming, directional microphone for higher quality sound).
- The phone also supports for cellular wideband audio (for increased clarity and more natural sounding speech). Apparently wideband audio will be supported by over 20 mobile service providers worldwide when the phone is launched.
- The phone will have new headphones called EarPods. The will have a more natural fit and also have better durability. And users can expect better sound quality as well. And in case you were wondering, the iPhone 5′s headphone jack is on the bottom of the phone.
- The iPhone 5 will feature a new 8-signal dock connector (called “Lightning”). Although Apple claims that between iCloud, AirPlay and wireless sync, you won’t really need it. It’s 80% smaller than the old dock connector. An adapter will be made available for the old 30 pin type.
- The phone will be released with iOS 6 (the latest Apple OS for mobile phones and iPads).
- Like the iPhone 4S the iPhone 5 will be released with 16GB, 32GB or 64GB storage capacity.
- The iPhone 5 will feature a new SIM card format called the Nano SIM. The Nano SIM is smaller than the Micro SIM that the iPhone 4S and other high end cell phones use.
- The iPhone 5 will be released on the 21st of September in the UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the USA. No release date has been announced for South Africa yet.
So, there you have it, the low down on the new Apple iPhone 5. Check out this TV Advert for the iPhone 5:
What do you think of it? Leave a comment on this post and let the readers of the Junk Mail blog know. We’d love to hear from you. If you found this post interesting and informational, please share this post with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Gadgets category on the Junk Mail blog.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Dryver: A Mobile app That Will Get You Home Safely - May 21, 2013
- Brace yourselves for Capital Craft in July 2013! - May 21, 2013
- An Introduction to Lucy Kruger - May 20, 2013